... But Why?
Some reasons for developing traffic models are
In summary, traffic simulation can contribute to reduce traffic
congestions without building new infrastructure!
- To simulate the effect of control measures like
- Speed limits
- Overtaking bans for trucks, especially at uphill or downhill sections
- Restrictions for lane changing, especially before or at merging
- Traffic flow control at on ramps
- To simulate the effect of new infrastructure before
it has been build.
- To simulate the influence of vehicles with adaptive
cruise-control systems. If an increasing precentage of vehicles has
such systems, does traffic become more stable? Can
the traffic flow per lane be increased?
- Finally one can even simulate different or new traffic rules.
For example, allowing overtaking on freeways at either side combined
with a speed limit, ...